Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Treasure Hunters is a massive disappointment ...

I've been eagerly anticipating Treasure Hunters ever since I heard about it. A show that blends a bit of American History (a'la National Treasure), world hopping (a'la The Amazing Race), and puzzle solving. What's not to like?

Unfortunately, the contestants they've chosen are a bunch of utter morons, which I can't understand given that some of them are former CIA members. The puzzles have been incredibly easy, easy enough that I recognize the answers immediately. Either it's editing that makes these people look like idiots, or they really are this dim. All I know is it should not have taken someone HOURS to figure out that you could

Spoiler Alert! Do not read any further if you have not seen last night's episode, or if you don't want me to ruin what will likely be answers to future episodes!

... use a candle to make a hidden message appear on a piece of parchment. I was writing lemon juice codes since I was six, and this was obvious to me as soon as I saw the blank sheet of parchment. How could someone in the CIA not know this, or even the "geniuses"?!

What's worse, the players are so completely clueless that they didn't realize that ...

Another spoiler! Last shot to run away!

... the map artifact they got early in the game has a message encoded on it the same way. I suspected this when they first got it, but after last night's show, it's obvious. Also obvious were the numbers (12-14, if I remember correctly) written backwards on the key. I'm not sure what they are yet, but they're significant.

The online game is marginally harder, but not by much. With two puzzles left to go, I've already submitted my answer, but I'll try a couple more times over the next couple of weeks and see if the final clues lead away from my guess. Still, given the American History theme of the show, I'm certain my answer is correct. No, I'm not going to give it away now, since the game is still going on, and I don't need the competiton, but I'll give you a hint ... Patrick Henry would be having a tea party in Brooklyn if he knew what I was thinking.

Anyway, I'm very disappointed. My wife and I have wanted to do a show like this for a long time, and we'd never be cast. Part of it is that we're not exactly the most photogenic couple, but the other part is that I think we'd be weeded out as too smart very early on. But if someone at NBC wants to give us a shot, we're listening ...

Edit: OK, so my clue sucked, but it only sucked because ... well, because I had the wrong location. I think I have it now, and because this game pissed me off royally this evening, I'm just going to give it away to you.

The puzzle pieces are of Washington D.C.'s National Mall. It's hard to say specifically what the location is for the final answer, but the theory is that it's the Smithsonian, because many of the clue point to the flag (the "early symbol") being laid to rest there. My earlier thought was that it might have been the Liberty Tree in Boston, Massachusetts, and I have to say that it's only because I didn't recognize the map of DC (as I've never had the opportunity to go). Sorry for leading you all astray like that.

I haven't watched the show tonight, but I'm expecting another mediocre performance from the players. How sad.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any hints other than the one you provided? Do tell!

Anonymous said...

Well obviously it has something to do with Wash DC. And a man named Smith. Smith had a Son, his name was Ian.

Looking in the past Ian might have been the Wrong Name

Anonymous said...

I have been playing the online game, or at least attempting to. I am stuck on challenge 5 and am hoping you could give me a lead as to where this fulton paddle boat needs to go. I have been searching online and am getting nowhere. I am determined to finish this game even if I don't win the money. Please help. You can email at scka_martin@msn.com or I can come back to your blog to check comments later. Thanks

Anonymous said...

I got it! I didn't think to referance Tom Sawyer, but I figured it out.

Anonymous said...

its the smithsonian american museum...where the flag is. confident of it!!!

Anonymous said...

you are correct at the location but not the name

Anonymous said...

I'm with you...these people took days of wondering around with a cryptext in their bag...with only seven letters mind you...never played with it once. LIBERTY...might as well been a junior Jumble. I would have solved that at the end of the previous episode when i first found it, then just relax at the waldorf!!!! hello !!!

Anonymous said...

Please someone help me figure out the final puzzle with symbols!!! I cut the star out as required, but have tried every possible combination and it is not working. Hints? Clues? Solutions?

Anonymous said...

I thought DC at first, but I think the answer is the statue of liberty.

Anonymous said...

Also stuck on challenge 5 - any hints

Anonymous said...

I found the first few online puzzles easy, but being Canadian, the more American history I needed the harder it was. I got all the way to the stupid star, but still don't know the encryption and now the friggin game is over. Not fair!

Anonymous said...

The online version was a CINCH! Breezed thru all challenges like nothing. The star cutout was fun, the symbols are there in a row... the tricky part is they HAVE TO BE ALLIGNED EXACTLY!! Hard. I feel that the correct answer is the National Archives Building. What is housed there is the HISTORY of America and all Americans. 1)the Constitution 2)Declaration of Ind 3)Bill of Rights 4)all other SIGNIFICANT papers to American history. It is also located between Pennsylvania and Constitution Ave. The Correct answer seems to point to THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES BUILDING, in a room called THE ROTUNDA for "Charters of Freedom". What do you think? One thing that messes me up.. The clues say: Where is the early symbol laid out for reef? Cant find the correct meaning of reef... I can only figure out one thing, that reef unscrambled is "FREE" America is the land of the FREE. Anybody care to rival this thought please do. Thanks! TVal

Anonymous said...

someone should just describe the symbols of the star b/c i've played with it alot and i still don't know!!

Anonymous said...

need help with #5 i got every thing but what am i to do with the pipes? someone said to close them what do they mean cuse i can't get the the steam to work need help bad real bad thx