Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Yahoo! News - DVDs will be obsolete in 10 years: Bill Gates

Of course DVDs will be obsolete in 10 years. Probably even sooner ... BluRay is already on the market, and technically, any time you have a better product come out, you've obsoleted the previous one.

Now, will DVDs be DEAD in 10 years? No fucking way. Even the hardcore aren't going to upgrade their DVD libraries to whatever no format comes out. Why? Because DVD is ubiquitous. It's everywhere. Damn near everything can do three things, plus play DVDs. It's the MP3 of video. There will be better, sure. And you know what? Those better products will play HD-Movie format media ... and DVD too, just to gain traction in the marketplace.

DVD was the fastest adopted product in decades. We're not going to give it up that easy. There will be better, sure, there always is. But DVD isn't going anywhere.

That said, I use my TiVo(s) much more than I use any of my DVD players, so Gates comments aren't entirely without merit. In fact, I've already started taking DVDs, ripping them into smaller WMV files for my PocketPC. Perhaps DVD is going to end up a simple Physical Delivery system? Could be, I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud here.

No comments: