New Year and New Beginnings
2007 has officially begun, and yet, I'm still wondering what the hell happened to 2006. I know I've been busy and what not, but most of the people I've talked to said that it felt like this year just ended before it really began.
Not only is it a new year, but I'm now officially six months out from my graduation from the UW. I'll be filing my application for graduation here shortly, I start the first of my two Capstone classes, and I really don't know what I'm going to do with myself when it's all over. I mean, I do ... I've got a job already, but I can certainly see how traditional students can feel overwhelmed when it's all over. It's like, "OK ... now what?"
I expect that despite being nearly finished with school, I'll be working harder in the next six months than I have at any time in my brief 30 years past. More challenging classes, expanded responsibilities at work, time-intensive extracurriculars ... and trying to figure out how to fit everything into days that feel shorter and shorter.
I'm sure I'll miss it when it's over, but for now, June can't come fast enough.
2 comments:
I felt the same way. While everyone else was trying to figure out what party to go to, I was thinking "I don't even *want* to ring in the new year!" I've hardly gotten a thing done on my dissertation. I started a new band in 2006 and pretty much forgot all about school (as much as possible). I'm either going to have to drop out and pursue rock and roll or else start working on that dissertation finally. Ouch. I'm actually crazy enough to believe my band has a chance at supporting itself in the long term. The trick is getting past the initial phase where no one knows who you are and no one pays you anything. Which is why I didn't want the year to end. We still have a few songs to write, an album to record (I love computers) and a bassist to train.
I'm also quite curious to see how the console wars progress over the year. Just before Christmas I saw a PS3 (20 GB) just sitting in a mall store, unpurchased. For whatever reason (price, lack of games etc.) no one seems to give a **** about the PS3 except super hardcore sony fans of which there don't seem to be too many (with enough dough). I have friends in the store so I checked in and out for a few hours while I Christmas shopped around the mall and eventually I saw some black guy buying it. Black guys seem to really like playstations (as opposed to xbox's and nintendo's) for some reason.
I saw another PS3, a 60 GB, just sitting in the display case in Wal-Mart. I saw a few people (black guys again!) sort of looking at it with longing expressions, but no one had the required cash or credit apparently.
I've yet to see a Wii in a store just sitting around. Ebay bears this experience out. Wii's are still selling for over 400 bucks plus shipping. PS3's are selling for list price (or a little less! if the seller quites an exhorbinant shipping cost). I saw a few fluke PS3's selling for an amount like 1000 or even 2000 for no apparent reason. It's probably a seller bidding his own item up in hopes of someone outbidding them and buying the thing for a ridiculous amount.
How many units could Sony have moved so far and they're already languishing on shelves? The launch inertia is already dead? It sounds like the PS3 is going to be a major disaster for Sony.
The article in your blog reminds me some old memory .That is good .It gives me happy .I think we will have a harmonious talk.Do you agree?
Great synopsis of commenting and how to very well written and all that link love you just poured out, great post, if this was a forum you would have a sticky on this. What is Wicker and Rattan? Wicker is a weaving process, not a material. One of the materials used in the weaving process is called rattan core, which comes from the rattan interior.
Island Furniture
Most wicker and rattan furniture originates from Southeast Asia (Indonesia, the Philippines and China) and is manufactured by hand.
Post a Comment