Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Idiotic Tech Journalists Strike Again

A story I'm seeing all over the blogosphere today is the supposedly "ludicrous" comment by Microsoft that the Aero Glass desktop interface will not slow down a computer powerful enough to run it. I'd have to assume that part of the incredulity comes from a long history of Microsoft flaunting "minimum" configurations that are really stretching the concept. However, in this one case, Microsoft isn't even close to exaggerating.

Aero Glass is FASTER on PCs that can run it than the standard desktop, in most cases. Why?

Aero Glass is designed to use the 3D hardware in computers that usually lies dormant when performing standard Windows tasks. Think of it this way ... it's like having yet another powerful computer processor sitting in your machine that would only get used if you were playing games.

By offloading all desktop compositing to the 3D card, not only do you get some impressive translucency effects and cool stuff like Flip 3D, you also free up your computer's main processor for other tasks, and that results in a boost in performance, not a drop. Of course, this is all dependent on your hardware, but considering the threshold Microsoft put in place for getting Aero Glass to work in the first place, I can't imagine a scenario where this would ever be "slower".

What I don't understand is why so many people that are supposedly journalists in the tech field don't understand this.

No comments: