Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Pick a frickin' name already!

One of my former employers is going through a bit of an identity crisis.

I started with AT&T Wireless shortly after they purchased McCaw Cellular (Craig McCaw went on to form Nextel, which has since been sold to Sprint). Over the duration of my time there, AT&T spun off the company, then reincorporated it into the "mothership", then proceeded to spin it off again. Much later, the company sold off the wireless unit to Cingular. Realizing that the telecom giant no longer had a wireless offering, they started dealing with Sprint to offer service through them (as an MVNO, or mobile virtual network operator). Just recently, SBC (majority owner of Cingular), bought AT&T. The latest word is that SBC is looking to rebrand Cingular as ... wait for it ...

AT&T Wireless.

I can't imagine what it must feel like to be an AT&T Wireless customer after being forced to endure this kind of mess. (I stopped using AT&T Wireless a couple years ago.)

No comments: