Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Will Seattle's Finest Be Raiding Penny Arcade?

GamePolitics posted a follow-up to the Penny Arcade / Jack Thompson story. Apparently, Thompson has faxed Seattle Police Chief Gil Kerlikowske, in essence begging them to arrest Mike and Jerry for harassment.

I've come to the conclusion that there are only two reasons why Thompson would be acting in such a manner: 1) The man has had a serious break with reality, and needs psychiatric attention, or 2) He's doing it all for cheap publicity.

I can't help him much with 1), but 2) is easy to solve. We simply need to stop taking the bait. He goads people into responding to his ludicrous statements, then proceeds to accuse THEM of harassing him. Luckily, his threats are mostly idle, and smart people (like the fine folks of the Seattle PD) are able to ignore his temper tantrums, but he can still cause a certain amount of mild discomfort, in the form of nuisance lawsuits. However, even that should be fairly minor, given that from the public statements he's made, he can't be much of a lawyer at all. It must be very difficult to draft a proper legal brief when you're busy berating people over e-mail.

So with that, I make my final mention of Jack Thompson, because I just plain refuse to enable his childish behavior, not to mention give him the attention he obviously craves. I just hope that at some point, he realizes that his crusade is hurting his cause more than it's helping. People with a real cause to fight are the ones out there doing something about it (like Penny Arcade's yearly "Child's Play" campaign), not talking for the sake of hearing themselves talk.

No comments: