Smallville, Season 5
Last Thursday was the Season Premiere of Smallville, which was being mercilessly hyped as the season where "everything you've waited to see, happens". I was very nervous, knowing that they've handled the series with kid-gloves and staunch refusal to break certain rules, so I was concerned that there was no way that they could live up to the hype. Within five minutes, I was giggling like a schoolgirl. At the risk of spoiling the plot of the show, let's just say that they've basically brought elements from the first two Superman films and are playing it out in Season Five.
The same issues I've had with Smallville remain, however. Every episode has a fairly anti-climactic end to the plot of the episode, and it happens with roughly 10 minutes left in the show, with the remaining time dedicated to the teenage angst stuff (which isn't too bad). There's also far too much of the show taking place in the Smallville Hospital.
That said, they're certainly pulling out all the stops. I'm sure it's only happening because they need to start ramping up promotion for the new Superman film, so ratcheting up the Superman mythos in Smallville seems like an obvious way to start.
I can't wait for the next episode ... the premiere ended with a great cliffhanger!
1 comment:
The season 5 smallville opening was just what they said "anything can happen, you can see the comparison to the old superman movies, where Clark goes the the fortress for the first time, then the three Krypotian thugs come and try to take over the world. Also how he loses his powers at the end of the episode. If it was my guess i would say this is going to be a huge last season for Smallville. Tom Welling wants to go back to movies.
Post a Comment