Poynter Online - Covering Katrina
Peter Kovacs is putting out a plea for help ... many journalists are looking for a plce to stay while covering the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.
No offense intended for what I'm sure is a well-meaning request ... but if I had room to put someone up anywhere near Louisiana, I'd be wanting to help someone who has just lost their home and most of their belongings, not someone coming in to use a tragedy to further their career. I think Louisiana has had enough journalism, and what it needs most right now is more compassion.
I'm going to break a personal rule of mine and talk briefly about my company, CallVision. I recieved an e-mail today from the executive assistant to our CEO, letting us know that any charitable donations we make will be matched 100% up to $5000. We're a very small company, probably around 40 employees, and it was very unexpected to have this sort of offer put out there.
My wife and I were trying to decide how and where we were going to do our part to help out, and this made our decision very easy. In fact, knowing that my company will match, we'll probably end up giving more than we had intended, because so much more will come from it.
Want to work for a company like this? We're hiring.
No comments:
Post a Comment