Monday, August 15, 2005

OSx86 Project - Build Your Own Mac for $199

This is just so unbelievably cool, I can't even express it. A few years back, I shopped the parts to build a Mac (it's always good to know multiple platforms), and decided against it after the prices proved to be prohibitive. But all of a sudden, things have changed.

Admittedly, you're walking the thin, grey line into some potentially litigious waters, but I'm contemplating doing this just for the geek cred involved.

Anyway, while you could do it for about $199, raising your budget would probably get you a machine with better specs than the Mac Mini. Using a 100GB hard drive lying around my office, and using some other info, I could built a MicroATX box for under $400.

Word on the 'Net is that the Intel platform absolutely SMOKES PowerPC in terms of performance. Is that the Reality Distortion Field I see wavering in the distance?

No comments: