Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Poynter Online - The Next Big Thing in Online Type

Poynter Online has a story about the six new fonts that will ship with Longhorn. These new OpenType fonts are specifically tuned for ClearType, so the extended reading experience should be improved. They are also suitable for print, and I suspect that Candara and Consolas could replace Arial and Lucida Console as my sans-serif and monospace fonts of choice for the first time.

OK, so I'm a big ol' font whore. I've got the entire Adobe Type Collection, and even with over 1000 fonts at my disposal, I still primarily use fonts that came with Windows. (That comes from running a design consulting company, I suppose.) Having some variety in the system fonts will be quite nice indeed. In fact, I might even consider upgrading to Longhorn just for the fonts. These would likely cost over $600 each, but Microsoft is just giving them away!

Anyway, hit up the story for a look at the new typefaces.

No comments: