Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Daddy, make a picture � I read the news today oh boy

David Parmet was fired for being the guy to rock the boat, to buck the trend, to basically be the guy that told those around him to stop being so damned afraid and get on board the bus. I feel for you. I've felt like I've been put in that situation more than once, and it never ends well.

If you can take solace in anything, know this: You were right. When surfing, if you see a big wave coming, you can't simply ignore it and think it will pass, or defiantly stand up to it, or you'll be washed away. You need to be pro-active, get on top of the wave, and ride it out. Take control, find out what it's all about. Maybe there's something to be learned.

Life is a series of learning experiences. I took some time with a "career counselor" today, at my Dad's suggestion, and he opened my eyes to several possibilities, many of which I'd considered briefly. When charting my "values", I found that learning was the single most important thing to me. I really don't understand how it can't be to everyone, since it's something so intrinsic in the human experience.

So when something like this comes along, immerse yourself in it, and see what you can learn. While it ended up being a negative outcome in David's case (and in my own career, too), I'm positive he's going to come out of it knowing something his bosses didnt.

As if he didn't already.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey there... I just came across this today (a week late). Thanks for the thoughts... you are right, better things are always to come.

regards- David P