MSNBC - Voters register disapproval of gay marriage
In states around our country, the Majority has stepped up to say that they don't think marriage should include same-sex couples. In most cases, by a 3 to 1 margin. That's overwhelming.
Let's look at our history. We fought a bloody war with our own neighbors over keeping blacks as slaves. We were at each other's throats to try to keep black and white kids segregated. We didn't think women should vote. We didn't think gays should serve in the military.
Just because you're in the majority, doesn't mean that you're right. There are a great many things that look foolish in retrospect, that we wonder how we could have ever thought that way. I have to wonder if this issue of gay marriage is likely to turn out the same way.
Sanctity of marriage? How does the gay couple down the street getting married make my marriage to my wife any less important or special? If you're worried that a couple of lesbians can devalue your marriage, maybe you should think about what that says about your marriage.
Sorry if I'm getting up on my high horse, but I'm pretty disappointed in my country right now. Bush or Kerry, I don't particularly care, but sending a message like this to ANY group in our nation sets us back 50 years.
1 comment:
..the sanctity of marriage..give me a break..especially when 50% of marriages in the U.S. end of in divorce...
Post a Comment