MSNBC - Video games under the gun
Yawn. Yet another sensationalistic attack on the video game industry, citing studies that suggest that violent video games and aggressive behavior are linked.
Well, no shit.
Everyone time one of these studies is released, I say the same thing I always have. Where are the parents? Where are the positive influences in childrens lives? Anything, violent ... games, movies, THE EVENING NEWS ... will have an impact if unchecked by an adult who can explain, or at least interact with, the children and mitigate the effect that medium might have on the child.
I love violent games and movies. Just plain love them. But I don't have a violent bone in my body, and frequently use these games as a release for my aggression, as opposed to amplifying it. I'm convinced that violence in kids isn't CAUSED by the games, but it caused by the unchecked responses to that stimulus by another influence. The games don't promote violence. They raise the levels of endorphines and adrenaline, which unless managed, CAN result in aggressive behavior. MOST of us, however, use it as stress relief.
Banning violent games and movies isn't the answer. Educating our children (and apparently, clueless researchers and knee-jerk reactionists) is the answer. Violent movies and games have ratings designed to warn those responsible that the content is something not appropriate for children. If the children are being allowed to play these games and watch these movies without any supervision, is that the fault of the game? Or is it the fault of whomever is supposed to be responsible for the children?
I will say that I think the ratings system needs to be better enforced at retail, and perhaps a new law might help that. But I've seen enough clueless parents and grandparents buying games for kids as presents that I think the parents need to be better informed too.
No comments:
Post a Comment